Idioms for writing
OTHER WORDS FROM writingself-writ·ing, adjective un·writ·ing, adjective
Words nearby writing
Definition for writing (2 of 2)
verb (used with object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
verb (used without object), wrote or (Archaic) writ; writ·ten or (Archaic) writ; writ·ing.
- to set down in writing; record; note.
- to direct one's writing to a less intelligent reader or audience: He writes down to the public.
- to vote for (a candidate not listed on the ballot) by writing his or her name on the ballot.
- to include in or add to a text by writing: Do not write in corrections on the galley.
- to request something by mail: If interested, please write in for details.
- to cancel an entry in an account, as an unpaid and uncollectable debt.
- to regard as worthless, lost, obsolete, etc.; decide to forget: to write off their bad experience.
- to amortize: The new equipment was written off in three years.
- to put into writing.
- to write in full form; state completely.
- to exhaust the capacity or resources of by excessive writing: He's just another author who has written himself out.
- to put into writing, especially in full detail: Write up a report.
- to present to public notice in a written description or account.
- Accounting. to make an excessive valuation of (an asset).
Origin of write
OTHER WORDS FROM writemis·write, verb (used with object), mis·wrote, mis·writ·ten, mis·writ·ing.
Example sentences from the Web for writing
True, this may not be what James Madison had in mind when he was writing the Bill of Rights.Why We Stand With Charlie Hebdo—And You Should Too |John Avlon |January 8, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
Both Ney and Abramoff have reentered the public spotlight following their sentences, writing books about their experiences.Abramoff’s Advice for Virginia’s New Jailhouse Guv |Tim Mak, Jackie Kucinich |January 7, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
I started just writing these songs, at first it felt like a project or something.Deer Tick's John McCauley on Ten Years in Rock and Roll |James Joiner |January 2, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
I wish I could be writing to you under better circumstances, but unfortunately those avenues have closed up.Dear Leelah, We Will Fight On For You: A Letter to a Dead Trans Teen |Parker Molloy |January 1, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
Before his writing days, London used the Oakland establishment to conduct his studies.The Bars That Made America Great |Nina Strochlic |December 28, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
I dreamt of writing books, and I tried it, after taking my degree, but I did not succeed.The Works of Guy de Maupassant, Volume III (of 8) |Guy de Maupassant
It would have delighted your heart to read it, were his words in writing to Baron Stockmar.The Empress Frederick; a memoir |Anonymous
Among the ancients symbols were the original form of record, of communicating ideas, and of writing.How to Read the Crystal |Sepharial
He supported himself for some time in London by writing plays and editing the Public Ledger.
Ellis, writing in 1765, supposes that they were the orifices of the cells occupied by the polypi.The Ocean World: |Louis Figuier
British Dictionary definitions for writing (1 of 2)
Word Origin for writing
British Dictionary definitions for writing (2 of 2)
verb writes, writing, wrote or written
Derived forms of writewritable, adjective
Word Origin for write
Idioms and Phrases with writing
In addition to the idioms beginning with write
- write down
- write in
- write off
- write one's own ticket
- write out
- write up
- nothing to write home about
Also see underwrote.