- pecuniary gain resulting from the employment of capital in any transaction.Compare gross profit, net profit.
- the ratio of such pecuniary gain to the amount of capital invested.
- returns, proceeds, or revenue, as from property or investments.
verb (used without object)
verb (used with object)
Origin of profit
SYNONYMS FOR profit
ANTONYMS FOR profit
synonym study for profit
OTHER WORDS FROM profit
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH profitprofit prophet
Words nearby profit
Example sentences from the Web for profit
Together, the teams are working 24 hours a day for a product that promises much higher risk than it does profit.The Race for the Ebola Vaccine |Abby Haglage |January 7, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
She is using this technique, which generations of African-Americans have used for survival, for fame and profit.The Cultural Crimes of Iggy Azalea |Amy Zimmerman |December 29, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Marx forecast that the profit motive would lead to overworking and exhausting the fertility of our soil and other natural systems.American Democracy Under Threat for 250 Years |Jedediah Purdy |December 28, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Last year, Jet Blue made a profit of $168 million, $40 million more than the previous year.Flying Coach Is the New Hell: How Airlines Engineer You Out of Room |Clive Irving |November 25, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
They have to fill every seat—in most cases the profit comes in only the final three rows of seats.Flying Coach Is the New Hell: How Airlines Engineer You Out of Room |Clive Irving |November 25, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
As we plodded along he talked about his cattle ranch, the price of cattle, and what profit he had made that year.The Burglar's Fate And The Detectives |Allan Pinkerton
The old Fleming found, no doubt, both pleasure and profit in lending himself to the capricious pleasures of his royal client.Maitre Cornelius |Honore de Balzac
The annual balance sheet, however, would show the percentage of profit to the total outlay.The life and teaching of Karl Marx |M. Beer
Between you and me, he swindled them, and beat us for 'extra' profit.Scamping Tricks and Odd Knowledge |John Newman
So long as any profit exists, the State has a right to tax it; unjustly it may be, and partially, but still the title is there.
British Dictionary definitions for profit
- income derived from property or an investment, as contrasted with capital gains
- the ratio of this income to the investment or principal
- the income or reward accruing to a successful entrepreneur and held to be the motivating factor of all economic activity in a capitalist economy
- (as modifier)the profit motive