- a category in the classification of organisms usually between a subfamily and a genus or sometimes between a suborder and a family.
- any group of plants or animals.
- any one of three divisions of the people representing the Latin, Sabine, and Etruscan settlements.
- any of the later political divisions of the people.
Origin of tribe
OTHER WORDS FROM tribesub·tribe, noun un·der·tribe, noun
Words nearby tribe
Example sentences from the Web for tribe
“The tribe is really made of people who put travel as a priority in their entire lifestyle,” says Evita.‘We Out Here’: Inside the New Black Travel Movement |Charlise Ferguson |January 4, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
A running joke inside the tribe is that the group is like that club with a hundred people waiting outside to get in.‘We Out Here’: Inside the New Black Travel Movement |Charlise Ferguson |January 4, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
Tiger Lily and her tribe, however, were outfitted in semi-realistic outfits (read: nearly naked).‘Peter Pan Live!’ Review: No Amount of Clapping Brings It to Life |Kevin Fallon |December 5, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
As the bill failed in the Senate, a pigtailed member of the Lakota Sioux tribe stood up in the gallery and began chanting.Keystone Senate Failure Is Environmental Kabuki Theater |Ben Jacobs |November 19, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
They agreed to let McKell and Moss join their tribe for a few days.London’s Pagan Counterculture Kings |Justin Jones |October 12, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
The shields varied in form and material from tribe to tribe.Homer and His Age |Andrew Lang
While it was for this tribe that the agency at Fort Snelling was established, yet the Chippewas often frequented its headquarters.Old Fort Snelling |Marcus L. Hansen
Had she desired she might have remained and resumed an easy life with her tribe.Whitman's Ride Through Savage Lands |Oliver Woodson Nixon
When old Katasha exerted herself it behooved all the daughters of her tribe to be in attendance.The Sun Maid |Evelyn Raymond
He went to Washington to plead for the tribe, and returning, left his wigwam among the Indians after a time, and went to Texas.Tenting on the Plains |Elizabeth B. Custer
British Dictionary definitions for tribe
- any of the three divisions of the ancient Romans, the Latins, Sabines, and Etruscans
- one of the later political divisions of the Roman people
- any of the 12 divisions of ancient Israel, each of which was named after and believed to be descended from one of the 12 patriarchs
- a phyle of ancient Greece
- a large number of persons, animals, etc
- a specific class or group of persons
- a family, esp a large one