- (in the army) a major administrative and tactical unit, larger than a regiment or brigade and smaller than a corps: it is usually commanded by a major general.
- (in the navy) a number of ships, usually four, forming a tactical group that is part of a fleet or squadron.
Origin of division
SYNONYMS FOR division
synonym study for division
OTHER WORDS FROM division
Words nearby division
Example sentences from the Web for division
Excerpted by permission of Harper Books, a division of HarperCollins Publishers.How Richard Pryor Beat Bill Cosby and Transformed America |David Yaffe, Scott Saul |December 10, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Penguin Random House, LLC.
The cop was not named, but was identified as an African-American veteran of the division with no prior infractions.
If there is a division in the Democrat Party, he insists he is not on either side.Dan Malloy Is Progressives’ Dream Governor. So Why Isn’t He Winning? |David Freedlander |October 30, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Once he graduated in 2006, Simien took a job as a publicity assistant at Rogue, then a division of Focus Features.‘Dear White People’: How An Ex-Publicist’s Twitter Became One of the Year’s Most Important Films |Marlow Stern |October 30, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
There were just over four thousand electors in the division, but only 530 of them recorded their votes.Lalage's Lovers |George A. Birmingham
They are easily raised in spring from seed, and the perennials may be increased by cuttings placed under glass, or by division.Gardening for the Million |Alfred Pink
Duryodhan's army consisted of his own division, as well as the divisions of ten allied kings.Maha-bharata |Anonymous
Love, in the exclusive form, has jealousy for its complement; and jealousy brings on strife and division.History of American Socialisms |John Humphrey Noyes
General Armistead was mortally wounded, and nearly all the other officers of the division were either killed or wounded.Battles of the Civil War |Thomas Elbert Vineyard
British Dictionary definitions for division
- army a major formation, larger than a regiment or brigade but smaller than a corps, containing the necessary arms to sustain independent combat
- navy a group of ships of similar type or a tactical unit of naval aircraft
- air force an organization normally comprising two or more wings with required support units