noun, plural se·ries.
- a daily or weekly program with the same cast and format and a continuing story, as a soap opera, situation comedy, or drama.
- a number of related programs having the same theme, cast, or format: a series of four programs on African wildlife.
- a sequence of terms combined by addition, as 1 + ½ + ¼ + ⅛ + … ½ n.
- infinite series.
Origin of series
SYNONYMS FOR series
OTHER WORDS FROM seriesmul·ti·se·ries, noun, plural mul·ti·se·ries. sub·se·ries, noun, plural sub·se·ries. su·per·se·ries, noun, plural su·per·se·ries.
Words nearby series
Example sentences from the Web for series
French officials were already on edge after a series of apparently unconnected attacks, including the stabbing of police officers.U.S. Spies See Al Qaeda Fingerprints on Paris Massacre |Shane Harris, Nancy A. Youssef |January 8, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
Life is a series of seemingly throwaway moments strung together in a peculiar tapestry, and Linklater has captured it beautifully.Oscars 2015: The Daily Beast’s Picks, From Scarlett Johansson to ‘Boyhood’ |Marlow Stern |January 6, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
Conway goes on to list a series of other coincidences that he suggests are not simply explained.Harry’s Daddy, and Diana’s ‘Murder’: Royal Rumors In a New Play |Tom Sykes |January 4, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
All of these far future speculations, of course, depend on a series of “ifs.”
But throughout the series so far, its style has also had a profound story of its own to tell.
The position of those who remained was regulated in a series of decrees, adverse to the system, but favourable to the inmate.Lectures on the French Revolution |John Emerich Edward Dalberg-Acton
The principal work is his series of Lectures in the Royal Academy, twelve in number, commenced in 1801.
The two armature coils are in series with the field-coils and the same disposition of the shunt or short-circuit D is used.The inventions, researches and writings of Nikola Tesla |Thomas Commerford Martin
After a series of farewells that would have befitted an imminent voyage to foreign parts, the Kid went down to the street.The Voice of the City |O. Henry
In the Liquozone article of this series I showed how medical evidence is itself "doctored."The Great American Fraud |Samuel Hopkins Adams
British Dictionary definitions for series
noun plural -ries
- a configuration of two or more components connected in a circuit so that the same current flows in turn through each of them (esp in the phrase in series)
- (as modifier)a series circuit Compare parallel (def. 10)