- a rigid, relatively slender, upright support, composed of relatively few pieces.
- a decorative pillar, most often composed of stone and typically having a cylindrical or polygonal shaft with a capital and usually a base.
Origin of column
synonym study for column
OTHER WORDS FROM columncol·umned [kol-uh md] /ˈkɒl əmd/, col·um·nat·ed [kol-uh m-ney-tid] /ˈkɒl əmˌneɪ tɪd/, adjective
Words nearby column
Example sentences from the Web for column
Sometimes a column has the economy and rhythm of a short story.
Later that night, that same black-and-red banner would be seen again—in the column of marchers chanting for dead cops.
My editor called and said, “Do a column on this Lena Dunham flap!”Up to a Point: They Made Me Write About Lena Dunham |P. J. O’Rourke |December 13, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
His sign was the last one people saw as the column of marchers passed them, it read, “Am I next?”
The Washington Post wrote, “it would take almost a column of The Post just to tell the names of all the animals within.”We’re All Carnies Now: Why We Can’t Quit the Circus |Anthony Paletta |November 27, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Thus, every column would contain one hundred and ten tons of marble, besides base and capital!Ruins of Ancient Cities (Vol. I of II) |Charles Bucke
If this is to be the case the capital must be rendered congruous with the column it should surmount.
Dick was at the head of the column with Colonel Winchester and the sergeant.The Rock of Chickamauga |Joseph A. Altsheler
Turning over the page, a column and a quarter is occupied with a general summary of European news by the P. and 0.Town Life in Australia |R. E. N. (Richard) Twopeny
Merodach's column terminated in a lance head, and the head of a lion crowned that of Nergal.Myths of Babylonia and Assyria |Donald A. Mackenzie
British Dictionary definitions for column
- a form or structure in the shape of a columna column of air
- a monument
- any of two or more vertical sections of type on a printed page, esp on a newspaper page
- a regular article or feature in a paperthe fashion column