- a letter or other symbol generally placed by the printer at the foot of the first page of every sheet to guide the binder in folding the sheets and in gathering them in sequence.
- a sheet so marked.
Origin of signature
OTHER WORDS FROM signaturesig·na·ture·less, adjective
Words nearby signature
Example sentences from the Web for signature
It is not a decisive war, with a single, signature victory, but a war of attrition.Pentagon Doesn’t Know How Many People It’s Killed in the ISIS War |Nancy A. Youssef |January 7, 2015 |DAILY BEAST
The pieces are near-identical, excepting the signature buttons on the Chanel suit and a few small tailoring details.
Even his signature instrument, Auto-Tune, has become as accepted an ingredient in hip-hop as the drum machine.Future Makes Us Rethink Everything We Thought We Knew About Rap Artists |Luke Hopping |December 15, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
Lacking any sense of irony, Eldridge made campaign-finance reform a signature plank.The Rise and Fall of Chris Hughes and Sean Eldridge, America’s Worst Gay Power Couple |James Kirchick |December 9, 2014 |DAILY BEAST
For obvious reasons, finalizing such an agreement would have required the presence and signature of both candidates.
I learn that in Pennsylvania the applicant's signature is not required by the Pardon Board.Prison Memoirs of an Anarchist |Alexander Berkman
The color of the ink used by the forger was not the same as that in the signature.The Scarlet Feather |Houghton Townley
When you again secure the signature you require, we will see to it that another messenger is dispatched to your home bearing it.The Pioneer Boys of the Yellowstone |Harrison Adams
This is a case in which it may be said that the figures are worthless without the signature.Pedagogical Anthropology |Maria Montessori
Mr. Aston looked at the note again and reread the signature, then he gave it back, satisfied.Christopher Hibbault, Roadmaker |Marguerite Bryant
British Dictionary definitions for signature
- a distinctive mark, characteristic, etc, that identifies a person or thing
- (as modifier)a signature fragrance
- a sheet of paper printed with several pages that upon folding will become a section or sections of a book
- such a sheet so folded
- a mark, esp a letter, printed on the first page of a signature